Dear Leah Renee,
When I have cravings, I want something salty without all the junk in it like store bought potato chips or french fries from a fast food restaurant. Do you have any recipes to keep me from going to the drive thru? Thanks! ~Liz, GA
Who doesn’t love french fries? I don’t know if it’s the taste, the texture, the saltiness, or the carb-o-liscious comfort, but all I know is they’re hard to resist! I’m a fan of balance, so fries every now and again didn’t hurt anyone. I am also a fan of creating some of my most desired indulgences into something healthier that gives me the same pleasure minus all the harmful ingredients. Simply switching the cooking method to baked instead of fried helps rid all the extra fats and unhealthy chemicals that come from deep frying.
Here is what you need to make yourself and loved ones some tasty parsnip fries:
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled and cut into evenly sized french fry sticks
- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil (coconut oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil)
- 2 tablespoons seasoning of your choice (I combined onion & garlic powder, an Italian herb blend, and some paprika)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium or large size bowl and mix it around! You may have to heat the coconut oil first so it liquefies.
- Line two baking sheets with tinfoil and/or grease the baking sheet with some coconut oil or cooking spray.
- Trim ends of parsnips, peel, and cut into evenly sized french fry pieces (I cut them in half length-wise first).
Warning: After letting these guys cool a bit do everything in your power to not eat all of them (well, only if you have to share). 🙂