I’m not typically a big soup-loving kinda girl. It’s good, but for some reason I prefer chewing my food (it’s important to ‘chew’ your soups and smoothies–but you know what I mean!). Every once in a while, there do come those occasional instances when nothing sounds better than a warm bowl of soup. Thanks to a good quality blender I can usually whip it up in a snap! Soups are often on the ‘scary list’ when dining out if you have any kind of food intolerance or allergy (or are veg/vegan since there are often animal sources used in soups like chicken broth) which is why making them at home is even better. You know everything that’s going in there and hand-picked the ingredients yourself.
Tonight the feeling struck and I remembered I had huge bag of carrots in the fridge. Since I always have miso and ginger stocked, I decided to combine all three for one tasty, immune boosting, antioxidant-filled soup!
I’m excited to fill you in on my recipe…but I’m really bad at measurements!!! I tend to throw things in the blender and just add as I go for the right taste. I will give approximates and add to your desire with ingredients like garlic, salt, ginger, water to consistency and miso to taste.
- 2 lbs carrots (I used organic baby carrots since it’s what I had!)
- 1 TB red miso (organic and/or fermented is a must)
- 2 TB white miso (same as above!)
- 3-4 cups water OR some veggie broth, no sodium (the miso will compensate!)
- 3 TB Ginger Juice or fresh grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 TB sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 TB onion powder (optional)
- Extra optional add-ins: shiitake mushrooms, tofu, brown rice, green onions, sesame oil, dashi, and if you like some spice a dash of cayenne pepper.
- Steam the carrots until they have just a slight crispness left to them, about 15 minutes.
- Starting with the water, place all ingredients into a high performance blender (I used a Vitamix). Start on a low speed and gradually work up. If you have a Vitamix, no need to go higher than setting 8 on the regular setting. You may need to stop the machine to stir the ingredients or add a little water if it gets stuck!
- Add or garnish with extra optional add-ins, warm if necessary, and ENJOY!!!
*Store up to 5 days in a glass container in the refrigerator*